Wide Bay Capricorn's top lifesavers announced
Lifesavers from Yeppoon to Hervey Bay have been recognised in the annual Surf Life Saving Wide Bay Capricorn Branch Awards.
Troy Prichard from Moore Park SLSC was named Ron Harding OAM Lifesaver of the Year for his dedication to the club.
Throughout the past season Troy has actively participated in beach patrols, helped out with nippers, provided water safety at carnivals and assisted the Club Trainer in upskilling members.
SLSQ Wide Bay Capricorn Lifesaving Services Supervisor Julie Davis said the awards highlighted the commitment of volunteers from across the region.
“The nominations received for each award highlight the dedication of all lifesavers who give up their time to keep our beaches safe,” she said.
“I would like to congratulate all award winners and thank them for their contribution to lifesaving throughout the region.”
Ms Davis said the future of lifesaving was in good hands with Elizabeth Pascoe being named Under 14 Junior Lifesaver of the Year.
“Elizabeth is the Junior Club Captain of Bundaberg SLSC and has shown great leadership throughout the past season,” she said.
“Whether it is providing water safety at nippers or assisting with fundraising initiatives, she is always willing to lend a hand.”
Elliot Heads Surf Life Saving Club was named Wide Bay Capricorn’s Youth Development Club of the Year, recognised for their outstanding efforts in providing opportunities for young members.
Award winners will now go on to represent the region at the Surf Life Saving Queensland Awards of Excellence held in Brisbane on September 25.
The 2020/2021 Wide Bay Capricorn Branch Award winners are:
- Trainer of the Year – Andrew Eason, Hervey Bay SLSC
- Assessor of the Year – Andrew Eason, Hervey Bay SLSC
- Official of the Year – Brooke Goodwin, Emu Park SLSC
- Athlete of the Year – Ky Woods, Bundaberg SLSC
- Andy Frizzell OAM OBE Award – Wayne Ahrens, Hervey Bay SLSC
- Youth Development Club of the Year – Elliott Heads SLSC
- U14 Junior Lifesaver of the Year – Elizabeth Pascoe (Bundaberg SLSC); Highly Commended – Georgie Stephenson (Elliott Heads SLSC)
- U18 Junior Lifesaver of the Year – Daniel Martin (Yeppoon SLSC)
- Youth (U21) Lifesaver of the Year – Lachlan Barrett (Elliott Heads SLSC)
- Ron Harding OAM Lifesaver of the Year – Troy Prichard (Moore Park SLSC)
- Volunteer of the Year – John Buck (Tannum Sands SLSC)
- Clive Hammond Medal – Andrew Eason (Hervey Bay SLSC)
- Junior Athlete of the Year – Kobi Holden (Elliott Heads SLSC)
- Youth Athlete of the Year – Taj Andrews (Tannum Sands SLSC)
- Master Athlete of the Year – Michael Harris (Bundaberg SLSC)
- Rookie Official of the Year – Colin Warmington (Elliott Heads SLSC)
- Sports Team of the Year – Bundaberg Male Surf Boat Crew
- Volunteer Coach of the Year – Edward McLeod (Emu Park SLSC)
- Community Education Program of the Year – Silver Salties (Bundaberg SLSC)