Surf Life Saving Australia announces nominees for the 2020 National Awards of Excellence
The SLSA National Awards of Excellence recognise the amazing achievements of our members and acknowledges’ their contribution and commitment to their communities.
The annual award night pays tribute and celebrates the extraordinary efforts of members in Surf Life Saving who have demonstrated outstanding acts in the surf, on the beach, in their clubs and in the community in 2019-20.
In 2020, the annual event will take place virtually on Saturday, November 7 due to COVID-19 restrictions and will consist of both live in studio presentations as well as virtual interviews and appearances from members across Australia.
Throughout the night there will be 13 award categories across lifesaving, education, and sport, as well as the recognition of three new SLSA Hall of Fame inductees and the prestigious Meritorious Awards for outstanding and brave rescues. The nine new SLSA Life Members announced in 2020 will also be acknowledged during the event
The event will be held live across Surf Life Saving Australia’s digital channels and hosted by leading Australian journalist Melissa Doyle AM
Surf Life Saving Australia’s President Graham Ford AM said that the annual Awards of Excellence recognise the significant contributions individuals and clubs make in keeping the Australian coastline safe and protecting the community.
“The annual Awards of Excellence are a chance to reflect and celebrate the outstanding effort and achievement of our organisation and surf lifesavers over the last 12 months,” he said.
“From bushfires, to floods, to COVID-19 and everything in between, our volunteers and surf lifesavers should be immensely proud of the time they have dedicated to the Australian community on and off the beach this year.
“We are encouraging all members from the 314 surf lifesaving clubs around the country to connect with one another and join in the celebrations as we recognise and honour the outstanding achievements of the past 12 months.”
The nominees for the National Awards of Excellence are:
DHL Club of the Year:
The DHL Club of the Year Award recognises the incredible achievements in a club’s development that results in a safer beach and aquatic environment for the community at large. It also acknowledges that clubs achieve many outstanding accomplishments through their members and that these initiatives are inspirational and different to our core business.
- Umina SLSC, NSW
- Kirra SLSC, QLD
- Scarboro SLSC, WA
- Christies Beach SLSC, SA
- Penguin SLSC, TAS
- Portsea SLSC, VIC
DHL Lifesaver of the Year:
This award recognises and rewards members who have made an outstanding contribution to the delivery and development of surf lifesaving frontline services and those who act as ambassadors for surf lifesaving.
- Tony Worton – Camden Haven SLSC, NSW
- Neil John – Sarina SLSC, QLD
- Steven Krohn – Darwin SLSC, NT
- Angus McMillan – Scarboro SLSC, WA
- Nicholas Canales – Penguin SLSC, TAS
- Rhys Cole – Point Leo SLSC & Mount Martha LSC, VIC
DHL Volunteer of the Year:
This award recognises an individual’s contribution that has enhanced the development of surf lifesaving and has demonstrated outstanding service to the organisation at large in a range of areas.
- Debbie Booth – Tea Gardens – Hawks Nest SLSC, NSW
- Belinda Doman – Coolangatta SLSC, QLD
- Janine Prinsloo – Yanchep SLSC, WA
- Elaine Farmer OAM – North Haven SLSC, SA
- Shane Askew – Burnie SLSC, TAS
- James Green – Port Campbell SLSC, VIC
DHL Lifeguard of the Year:
The DHL Lifeguard of the Year recognises and rewards Australian Lifeguard Service employees who have made an outstanding contribution to the delivery and development if lifeguard services during the 2019-20 season.
- William Vaughan-Smith – New South Wales
- Corey Jones – Queensland
- Emile Mercier – Western Australia
- Brady Hoppen – South Australia
- Hannah Tzimokas – Life Saving Victoria
Youth Lifesaver of the Year:
This award recognises and rewards our young members ages between 15-21 year, who has made an outstanding contribution to the delivery and development of surf lifesaving frontline services and those who act as ambassadors for surf lifesaving.
- Kai Darwin – Umina SLSC, NSW
- Lilly Tindal – Noosa Heads SLSC, QLD
- Jackson Hoffman – Gove Peninsula SLSC, NT
- Campbell Shaw – North Cottesloe SLSC, WA
- Josh Rollings – Christies Beach SLSC, SA
- Rhys Evans – Bicheno SLSC, TAS
- Lucas Karlson – Lorne SLSC, VIC
Assessor of the Year:
This award recognises and reward assessors who have made a significant contribution towards the area of education and awards within surf lifesaving.
- Joe Mastrangelo – North Steyne SLSC, NSW
- Charles Pashalis – Arcadian SLSC, QLD
- Graham Sharpe – Swanbourne Nedlands SLSC, WA
- Ingrid Cobiac – Brighton SLSC, SA
- Simon Kay – Clifton Beach, TAS
- Julia Clarke – Fairhaven SLSC, VIC
Trainer of the Year:
This award recognises and rewards trainers who have made a significant contribution toward the area of education within surf lifesaving.
- Doug Hawkins – Coogee SLSC, NSW
- Rupert Anisimoff – Noosa Heads SLSC, QLD
- Bridget Riggs – Darwin SLSC, NT
- Bernadette Flint – Mullaloo SLSC, WA
- Cass Norton – Beachport SLSC, SA
- Stephanie Prendergast – Burnie SLSC, TAS
- Joel Farrow – Williamstown S&LSC
Community Education Program of the Year:
Community Education Program of the Year recognises and rewards activities that have significantly worked towards saving lives, creating great Australians, and building better communities.
- The Gaza Surf Life Saving Project – North Steyne SLSC, NSW
- Noosa Community Education Program – Noosa Heads SLSC, QLD
- Multicultural Surf and Beach Safety Program – Fremantle SLSC, WA
- The Cultural Engagement Program – West Beach SLSC, SA
- Clifton Beach Nippers Program – Clifton Beach SLSC, TAS
- Mount Martha Life Saving Club Schools Program – Mount Martha LSC, VIC
Innovation of the Year:
The SLSA Innovation of the Year Award is given to a person or group in recognition of any development of equipment, procedures, or other initiatives that improves any facet of Surf Life Saving Australia.
- Beach Safety Awareness Project – Burnie/Penguin SLSC’s, TAS
- Australian Defence Force (ADF) Pilot Bronze Medallion Course – North Bondi SLSC, NSW
- Nippers On-Line Program – North Queensland Branch, QLD
- Skills Development Program – Lorne SLSC, VIC
Youth Athlete of the Year:
Surf Sports Youth Athlete of the Year recognises and rewards athletes ages 15-21 who have demonstrated sporting excellence a well as contributed to the area of surf sports within surf lifesaving.
- Noah Steiner – Wanda SLSC, NSW
- Connor Peabody – Kurrawa SLSC, QLD
- Fisher Harris – Mindil Beach SLSC, NT
- Harrison Hynes – Fremantle SLSC, WA
- Kayla Roe – Grange SLSC, SA
- Cooper Armistead – Port Sorell SLSC, TAS
- Mia Spencer – Hampton LSC, VIC
Athlete of the Year:
Surf Sports Athlete of the Year recognises and rewards athletes who have demonstrated sporting excellence a well as contributed to the area of surf sports within surf lifesaving.
- James Koch – Shelly Beach SLSC, NSW
- Lana Rogers – Noosa Heads SLSC, QLD
- Ryan Blenkinship – Mindil Beach SLSC, NT
- Jake Smith – Trigg Island SLSC, WA
- Matthew Zuill – West Beach SLSC, SA
- Phoebe Woodhouse – Burnie SLSC, TAS
Surf Sports Coach of the Year:
This award recognises and rewards coaches who have made a significant contribution towards the area of coaching within surf lifesaving with regards to both athlete’s performance and the area of educational development for coaches.
- Steven Monaghan – Wauchope-Bonny Hills SLSC, NSW
- Zayne Hamill – Surfers Paradise SLSC, QLD
- Andrew Ridley – Sorrento SLSC, WA
- Alex Botha – South Port SLSC, SA
- Craig Machen – Burnie SLSC, TAS
- James Evans – Mordialloc LSC, VIC
Surf Sports Official of the Year:
Surf Sports Official of the Year recognises and rewards officials who have made a significant contribution within surf lifesaving to the area of officiating and have shown an extraordinary commitment to officiating through the 2019-20 season as well as contributing towards official’s educational development.
- Debbie Pawsey – Evans Head – Casino SLSC, NSW
- Stuart Turrell – Etty Bay SLSC, QLD
- Roger Nowell – Sorrento SLSC, WA
- Brett Watson – Brighton SLSC, SA
- Craig Mackinnon – Carlton Park SLSC, TAS
- Tamara Brawn – Point Leo SLSC, VIC