North Barrier's Top Lifesavers Announced
Lifesavers from Forrest Beach to Sarina have been recognised at the annual Surf Life Saving North Barrier Branch Awards.
Angela Blair from Mackay SLSC was awarded the BHP Billiton Trophy for Surf Lifesaver of the Year for her dedication to the movement.
As Club Captain Amanda played an integral role in ensuring club operations run smoothly throughout the 2020/2021 season, including organising volunteers for weekly beach patrols.
SLSQ Regional Operations Manager North Barrier Jennifer Rees said the awards highlighted the dedication of volunteers from across the region.
“The nominations received for each award highlight the dedication of all lifesavers in the region who give up their time to keep our beaches safe,” she said.
“I would like to congratulate all award winners and thank them for their contribution to lifesaving throughout the region.”
Ms Rees said the future of lifesaving was in good hands with Ned Smith being awarded the Townsville Bulletin Trophy for Under 14 Junior Surf Lifesaver of the Year.
“Ned is an enthusiastic and committed young member of Arcadian SLSC,” she said.
“It is great to see Ned as well as numerous other young members recognised for their passion and dedication towards surf lifesaving.”
Ayr Surf Life Saving Club was named North Barrier’s Surf Club of the Year, recognised for their tremendous commitment to keeping local beachgoers safe.
Award winners will now go on to represent the region at the Surf Life Saving Queensland Awards of Excellence held in Brisbane on September 25.
The 2020/2021 North Barrier Branch Award winners are:
- The Townsville Bulletin Trophy for U14 Junior Surf Lifesaver of the Year – Ned Smith, Arcadian SLSC
- The BHP Billiton Trophy for U18 Junior Surf Lifesaver of the Year – Ainsley Wells, Townsville Picnic Bay SLSC
- The BHP Billiton Trophy for U21 Young Surf Lifesaver of the Year – Jessica Roberts, Arcadian SLSC
- The BHP Billiton Trophy for Surf Lifesaver of the Year – Angela Blair, Mackay SLSC
- North Barrier Branch Scholarship – Brianna Baker, Eimeo SLSC
- Andy Frizzell OAM, OBE Award for Service to Junior Activities – Matt Stone, Arcadian SLSC
- The Rossato Family Trophy for Volunteer of the Year – Linda Murray, Arcadian SLSC
- Clive Hammond Medal – Kylee de Rooy, Arcadian SLSC
- A1 Locations & Consulting Shield for Youth Development Club of the Year – Arcadian SLSC
- Champion Patrolling Club of the Year – Eimeo SLSC
- Club of the Year – Ayr SLSC
- The Bragg Trophy for Junior Athlete of the Year – Emma McMahon, Arcadian SLSC
- 15 – 18 Youth Athlete of the Year – Alaina Smith, Townville Picnic Bay SLSC
- Masters Athlete of the Year – Meryl Churchill, Townville Picnic Bay SLSC
- The George & Jenny Clarke Trophy for Team of the Year – Masters Surf Boat Team, Mackay SLSC
- The Brian Coomber Memorial Trophy for Carnival Official of the Year – Glen Miller, Townsville Picnic Bay SLSC
- The John Galea Family Trophy for Coach of the Year – Brian Heyer, Townsville Picnic Bay SLSC
- Trainer of the Year – Cynthia Hegerty, Eimeo SLSC
- Innovation Award – Sarina SLSC
- Stuart Braddick Memorial – Ben Tumelty, Arcadian SLSC