2020 Queen's Birthday Honours
Surf Life Saving Queensland extends its sincere congratulations to Thomas Herbert Holmes OAM of the North Burleigh and Dicky Beach Surf Life Saving Club who today was awarded a Medal of the Order of Australia for service to surf lifesaving and the community.
Holmes has dedicated more than sixty years to surf lifesaving, with a keen interest in rescue and resuscitation, having acted as both a coach and official over a number of years.
He has served as president of both Dicky Beach and North Burleigh Surf Life Saving Clubs.
SLSQ President Mark Fife congratulated Holmes on his recognition.
“Tom Holmes’ recognition is very well deserved,” Fife said.
“He has dedicated countless years to the Surf Life Saving movement at both North Burleigh and Dicky Beach.
“He has been a leader in the rescue and resuscitation space as both a coach and official.
“On behalf of SLSQ we thank him for his service and congratulate him on this honour.”
Holmes contribution to lifesaving and the community through the years:
Dicky Beach Surf Life Saving Club
- President, two terms.
- Long Service Member.
Surf Life Saving Queensland
- Rescue and Resuscitation Committee Secretary, 2010-2013.
Metropolitan Caloundra Supporters Club
- President, 2018-2019.
- Former Committee Member.
Townsville Rowing Club
- Re-established the club in 1989.
- President, 1989-1992.
- Competitor, Veteran Class, 1990-1993.
- Level 1 Coach.
North Burleigh Surf Life Saving Club
- President, 1966-1967 and 1967-1968.
- Club Captain, 1963-1964.
- Examiner, since 1961.
- Deputy Superintendent, North Barrier Branch, 1974-1978.
- Deputy Superintendent, South Coast Branch, 1962-1964.
- Life Member, 1969.
- Coordinator, Diamond Head Neighbourhood Watch, 2006-2014.
- President, Heatley Primary School Parents and Citizens, 1976-1980.
- President, Heatley Rangers Junior Soccer Club, 1981-1985.
- Chairman, Aitkenvale Scout Group, 1986-1988