Coaches play a crucial role in developing, inspiring and leading athletes to achieve their goals in Surf Life Saving sport competition by providing support and guidance to athletes across a wide range of surf sport disciplines. As a surf sport coach, you have the opportunity to work with athletes across all levels of competition and performance – from juniors to high performance.
The Coaching Accreditation Framework is in line with the Sport Australia requirements and is periodically by SLSA. The current coaching structure is designed to ensure great coaches are being developed across all coaching environments and surf sport disciplines through a contemporary flexible, interactive and purpose-built accreditation framework.
Surf Life Saving Queensland members wishing to become and accredited surf sport coach should choose the coaching pathway most suited to their coaching circumstance and future endeavors.
Foundation Coach Accreditation (entry point): The Foundation Coach course covers covers coaching of entry level participants who actively participate in a club surf sport environment (recreationally or competitively).
Development Coach Accreditation (entry point): The Development Coach course is designed for coaches who are training squads and coaching discipline specific skills to participants who are actively competing in club/interclub competitions.
Performance Coach Accreditation – The Performance Coach course is designed for coaches who are specialists within their discipline, striving for performance-based outcomes for their athletes within a structured and performance oriented surf sports program.
SLSQ Members wanting to become an accredited coach can do so by enrolling in the course online through the SLSA eLearning platform via the SLSA Members Area.*
* Performance Coach applications are first sent to SLSA for consideration before the course can be accessed.
Coaching accreditation’s expire after a 4 year period, from which the member must apply to re-accredit. Please follow the below process to re-accredit:
- Complete SLSA Surf Coach Re-Accreditation Form
- Complete Sport Australia Community Coaching General Principles course and ASADA Level 1 Anti-Doping course online.
- Complete Practical Coaching Assessment as required by coaching level and specified on the form.
- Supply Evidence of Planning as required by the coaching level and specified on the form.
- Make payment of $10.00 (payable to Surf Life Saving Queensland).
Preferred payment may be made via electronic transfer payable to SLSQ – BSB: 034065 Account Number: 114717 (please use your surname and “Coach Reaccredit” as a reference.
- Attach all of the above (including a copy of your payment receipt) to Daniel Homer at SLSQ at email@example.com.
Please contact Daniel Homer at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.