In the early 1900s, dentists, Mr Harold Bennett and his brother, visited their Tweed Heads Practice room once a month. The brothers were members of a Sydney Life Saving Club and realised that the Tweed Heads surfing community required some form of life saving support.
In 1908, Bondi Baths Life Saving Club provided a line and belt to Harold to assist the formation of a Surf Life Saving Club at Tweed Heads. At this time Greenmount Beach was known as the Tweed Heads Beach.
During the 1908 – 1909 Christmas New Year period, members of the Bondi Club visited the area during a promotional tour and gave demonstrations of land drills and surf reel line and belt work.
A group of young men were encouraged by the exhibition and arrangements were made for the formation of a local Surf life Saving Club, which was named the Tweed Heads Surf and Life Saving Club A local committee purchased the reel line and belt used by the touring Bondi members and the first fully equipped lifesaving reel was established on a Queensland beach.
The Club was re-constituted on the 13th of March 1911 at a well attended public meeting. It was proposed that the Club be called The Tweed Heads & Coolangatta Life Saving Club, with the motion carried unanimously. The first club house was opened 6 months later on the 13th of September. Since the Clubs formation, a life has never been lost on Greenmount Beach while members have been on patrol.